In addition to making it easier for you to discover children’s books with Black representation, we also want to make sure our platform shares excellent literacy practices for your household. We share many of them on our Instagram page, and we love the feedback and insights we gain from our community!
Here is just one example of a #literacyfact that we shared:
Many of our community members also share their best practices for teaching their babies how to read.
Here is a short list of tools that come recommended from our community and other sources:
- Meet the Sight Words – Flashcards
- BOB Books – First Stories
- Building Block Set and First 100 Words Book Bundle for Toddlers
- ABC Fun Alphabet Refrigerator Toy Magnets for Vocabulary and Math
Please note that should you purchase any of these products via our links we will receive a small affiliate fee to help support our service.
We created a story map template especially for your little readers! Story maps are used to help children process what they’ve learned while reading a book, either assisted or alone. For little children it can be a fun exercise to demonstrate what they’ve learned by drawing the book characters and by identifying and then highlighting different sections of the book; typically the beginning, middle, and end of a story.
Here are the key benefits of story mapping:
- They improve reading comprehension.
- They help children identify key elements of a story.
- They teach children how to organize information and ideas efficiently.
You can download the template HERE. Please let us know if you find our story map helpful, and please tag us on Instagram if you use this for the little readers in your life! Need a new book to try this literacy tool? Browse our library.
The BlackBabyBooks.com Team